Thursday, August 28, 2008

Underbara dagar

Hmmmm....yes.....Agnetha & Frida.....the ABBA songbirds...
.
Today I listened to Ensam and Elva Kvinnor in my CD changer. Shuffle play. If you have the possibility then you should do it.
Both CDs (LPs!) are really nice. No I'm not the person to use the word "masterpiece" that often. But anyway, what a cool mix that was. Agnetha and Frida are so different: their voices, their songs, their approach. Something you hardly notice in ABBA because they blend so well together. "So well" is an understatement of course, just trying to avoid too much superlatives !
On Ensam Frida has the advantage of having Benny as her producer, this gives the LP that rich full sound. He also knows her abilities and I must say she goes even further then in ABBA. The songs are almost all cover versions of well known songs. But since they're sung in Swedish by a woman it they sound like new, a bit strange the first time OK. My husband who is naturally a big ABBA sceptic actually likes this LP! (BTW when hearing My colouring book from Agnetha he immideately thought it was crap. What's the use of something like that, he said. )
.
Elva kvinnor i ett hus is charming because, well, there are some really good songs on it ánd because Agnetha is great when she sings in Swedish. Agnetha has written the songs her self. (apart from SOS. On Dutch Wikipedia it says that SOS was written especially for Agnetha's album which is nonsence. Although she is of course the one and only who should sing it!)
She listened a great deal to Linsey De Paul that's for sure. I always had a soft spot for Visa i attonde manaden (sorry don't know how to type an a-ringen on my laptop). Lovely melody and I remeber when first knowing what it was about I was like 15 or so I really wanted to have a baby myself. (!)
.
So: Agnetha and Anni-Frid
.
.
yes they smoked. How on earth can one have a voice like that and still smoke?
.
.

lounging avant la lettre

.

Frida enyoing her life in the sun

.

many years after Elva Kvinnor, she has her own garden that is for sure

.

Even more years later, Frida again found her place in the sun